Sunday, July 25, 2010

in·spi·ra·tion

n. stimulation of the mind or emotions to a high level of feeling or activity.

people often ask me where my ideas come from.  i never quite no how to answer that question, and usually end up stuttering and stammering around, trying to sidestep it, because truth is, there is no easy answer and the process is deeply personal.  whenever i see, feel or hear something that inspires me, i file the impression away for later.  this inspiration can come from anywhere, the texture of peeling paint or rusted metal, the way a leaf moves when it falls from a tree, the feeling of electricity in the air when lightning strikes nearby.  i probably have a million partially formed ideas or impressions swirling around in the back of my mind and fighting their way to the front for a chance to be seen.  i spend most of my time trying to dig them out of my subconscious so i can zero in on one and develop it into something concrete.  sometimes this process is quick, sometimes it takes months or years and most of these wisps will never develop into anymore than a fleeting impression.

here is a quick peak at the inspiration board in my studio.  its packed with layers of photographs, cards, natural and found objects that inspire me.what inspires you?