Sunday, August 23, 2009

my adventure at lazy daze

yesterday, i participated in the 33rd annual lazy daze in cary, nc. i've never attended the show before, as a vendor or a shopper, but plan to make it an annual tradition from now on. they had rotating musical performances throughout the day, pirate sword fighting (which, in my opinion, makes any event worth attending), a great selection of arts and crafts, and of course funnel cakes. i did not get see as much of the show as i would have liked to since i was there to work, but i was very impressed by the vendors that were in my immediate area, and i got two amazing necklaces from katie sasser, a jeweler, who was visiting from tennessee. the event was very well organized, i was most impressed by the ease of the setting up and breaking down processes, and they were able to keep all 300+ of us artists in line, a daunting task to say the least.

we had an early start in the morning, arriving to set up at the ungodly hour of 6:00 am, meaning i had to wake up at 5:00 (an hour that i'm convinced should rarely be seen, and then only on your way to bed from the night before, and absolutely never as the start of your day). as i stated earlier, the set up process went smoothly, the only setback my brains refusal to cooperate at such an early hour, resulting in the inability to accurately read a map.

despite ominous weather forecasts the morning started off beautifully. a little muggy, but not too hot and bright and sunny. around lunch time the dark clouds began rolling in and then the rains came. there was a quick downpour in which we frantically tried to get the tent walls hung up, and harbored several soaked shoppers under our tent. since we have never had to use the tent walls before, this process did not go as smoothly as one would have hoped, but we eventually got everything line up even managed to get most everything off the ground before the river of water started rushing though the the back section of the tent. that was the most chaotic part of the day, but things quickly calmed down. it was still showers off and on the rest of the afternoon but traffic remained fairly steady.

we had a great time, met some great people, bought some great items, and then... 12 hours after it all began, still a bit damp and quite exhausted, we were packed and ready to head home for the comfort of home and a nice long nap.

No comments: